Saturday, November 20, 2010

Please, will someone very smart PLEASE help me? :( [question is worth points (not saying how much)]?

please read ALL details: I am using Windows XP SP3 (but am not sure if it was 1st SP2 or not) but my problem that I want to fix immediately (or asap [but with all my hope than hopefully immediately]) is my Windows XP themes. The computer I use used to be my parents computer that they got back around mid 2007 with Windows XP (and it never ran any newer nor older os) and sometime while our computer guy was fixing it for them just last year back in '09 and when he was done it was in classic view and since than it was stuck there. If I go to display properties in the themes tab and go to the drop down menu it says all my themes are there but when i click on Windows XP everything else returns to normal except for the Windows %26amp; buttons they stay windows classic. now under my appearance tab still in display properties on my top drop down menu I only have an option for Windows Classic style (of course all the color schemes are there and font sizes. also if i go to change a color scheme, font size, or both on my windows %26amp; buttons it will stick when i go back to themes tab and select Windows XP. this problem is in all user accounts, even new ones i just create I tried ALL i can think of and really want this fixed asap (hopefully immediatly) I tried going to themes tab, selecting windows classic, applying, than goin back to Windows XP but the classic style windows %26amp; buttons still stuck. i also can't do a system restore b/c it only goes to march 2010, and i'm to afraid to go to last configuration settings that worked (not exact wording) (under F8 at startup) because of files (which I can backup) and programs (which i cant and not sure if I have all discs needed) plus im worried about drivers and stuff too. lastly i tried downloading a different theme ( i just tried the zune theme) hoping it would trigger something but it didnt and i doubt any other special theme download or multiple special theme downloads will and besides i dont want all those weird themes, just the all my regulars back.Please, will someone very smart PLEASE help me? :( [question is worth points (not saying how much)]?
I don't claim to be a professional, and I will state up front that you should contact Microsoft for an official solution, but I can offer some advice.



The first, and definitely most painless option is to virus scan, as some viruses can stop certain programs from working.



It sounds like you may have some corrupted system files. You can try to repair your system files. If you have the OS cd, you can tell your computer start from the CD.



If you don't know how to do that, the first thing you need to do is start up your computer. If you do, skip to the next paragraph. When given the option, press F2 (or indicated button) to ';change system settings. This will open up your system bios. Now don't play with any ofthe settings, but press the right arrow key until it gives you the option to ';adjust drive to start from'; or something to that effect. Using the pgup and pagedn keys to change it so that the CD drive is on top. Keep going right until you get to the screen that lets you ';save and exit';, select that. Your computer will restart and you will be prompted to ';press any button to start from disc'; or the like, and do so.



Now that you have started from the disc, navigate the menus (pick language and such) until you get to the main window (the one that gives you the option to install the OS. Find where it gives you the option to repair your system files instead, and tell it to do a full system restore (or the equivalent presented).



Hopefully one of these helped. Once again, I'm not an expert, and if these don't work, you should contact Microsoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment